Who knew that wearing the wrong kind of jewelry could negatively affect your health? You could be making three mistakes when purchasing these fashion accessories and you might not even know it. These mistakes are;
- buying and wearing jewelry with nickel plating
- buying and wearing jewelry with lead content
- buying and wearing jewelry that has cadmium in it.
Scientists have classified these three metals as heavy metals and have identified them as toxic. Research has shown that some levels of all three of these can be absorbed through your skin if you wear jewelry that contains them. Once in your body they can cause a myriad of health issues and symptoms. And guess what? The symptoms can get worse with repeated exposure!
These heavy metal bad boys are:
- Nickel – Symptoms include:
- a rash
- blisters, when the reaction is severe
2. Lead – Symptoms include:
- dizziness and loss of coordination
3. Cadmium – Symptoms include:
- decreased bone density
- kidney dysfunction
- brain damage
Most first-world countries are not allowed to make jewelry made with any of these three toxic metals, but some other countries are exporting inexpensive trinkets to the United States and tests are showing that they contain one or more of these scary metals. So, what’s a girl (or guy!) to do? Here are some suggestions:
- Make sure you read the product information on the jewelry products you wish to purchase. If they are lead, nickel and cadmium free, the literature should proudly state it.
- Shop a brand you trust! It’s rare that a brand you know has never carried products that contain heavy metals would suddenly offer items that do.
- Research! Check out the website of the brand you are considering and see if it contains information about the metal content of the items it offers.
- If you develop a rash, discontinue wearing the pieces that caused it.
And, just so you know, at Style Dots, all our products are nickel, lead and cadmium free, which we state clearly (see page two of our catalog!). Our top quality, exclusive products meet the strictest of standards, letting you wear any of your beautiful Style Dot’s items with confidence.